What is the Weatherization Assistance Program?
The Weatherization Assistance Program provides free weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to owner-occupied houses and tenant-occupied rental units located in the City of Philadelphia. Eligibility requirements apply.
What types of improvements are made?
Depending on the results of a free energy audit, each eligible property may receive a combination of the following improvements:
- Weather-stripping, caulking and repair of primary windows and doors
- Hot water heater replacement
- Wrapping hot water pipes and heating ducts
- Refrigerator replacement
- Sealing of basement openings, crawlspaces and chaseways
- Insulating and air-sealing of the roof area
- Repair and efficiency modifications to central heating systems
- Replacement of dryer flex duct with smooth metal pipe
- Replacement of some incandescent bulbs with CFLs
- Programmable thermostat installation
- In-home energy education
Note: Home repairs are not included
Who is eligible?
Whether you are an owner or a tenant, you must live in the property that needs weatherization assistance. It must be located in Philadelphia. Your gross annual household income cannot be more than the amount listed below for the number of people living in your home. Your property may not have received Weatherization Assistance Program services in the past.
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the household.
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Household Income|
For households larger than 8, add approx. $8,640 per person.
(Income guidelines subject to change)
How do I apply?
The first step in receiving PHDC services is to complete an Expression of Interest form. You may
- download an Expression of Interest form and return it to PHDC by US Mail to:
PHDC, 1234 Market St., 17th Floor,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
attn: B. Abdullahi
- speak to a PHDC operator by telephone at
215-448-2160, Monday through Thursday from 9:30 AM until 4:30 PM and Friday from 9:30 AM until 12:00 PM
- stop by PHDC’s office at 1234 Market St.,
17th Floor between 9am and 4pm to complete a written Expression of Interest form
You will need to provide the following information:
- Amount of total gross annual household income
- Source of that income
(employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
- Your Social Security Number
Call the Weatherization Assistance Program Hotline at 215-448-2160 Monday – Thursday between 9am. and 4pm and Friday between 9am and Noon.
Hearing impaired persons only, TDD at 215-448-2184.
Weatherization Tip Sheet
Click on the image below to view the Weatherization Tip Sheet or download as a flyer.