What is the Basic Systems Repair Program?
The Basic Systems Repair Program (BSRP) provides free repairs to correct electrical, plumbing, heating, structural and roofing emergencies in eligible
owner-occupied homes in Philadelphia.
What types of emergencies are eligible?
You can apply for free major systems repairs if your home’s problems include:
- Dangerous electrical conditions, such as overheating or sparking wiring or entire circuits that won’t stay on
- Leaking or broken sewer lines
- Leaking or broken water service lines
- Violations from the Water Department, Philadelphia Gas Works, PECO or Philadelphia L&I
- Roof leaks which have caused a 4 sq. ft. or larger section of ceiling to collapse (Small roof leaks are not considered emergencies)
- Structural repairs to exterior walls of home (Brick pointing and stucco are not considered emergencies)
Note: All hazardous conditions must be resolvable within grant limits in order for any work to be performed.
What if my heater needs to be repaired?
The Heater Hotline provides free emergency heater repairs for eligible households. If the Heater Hotline staff determine that your heater needs to be replaced, they will forward your application to BSRP.
To apply for heater repairs only, call the Heater Hotline at 215-568-7190.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for free repairs to emergency situations, you may not have received services from the BSRP within the last three years. You must own and live in the house with the problem. The house must be a single-family home located in Philadelphia. You may not own any other residential property, and you must be current on your property taxes. Your gross annual income cannot be more than the amount listed below for the number of people living in your home.
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the household.
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Household Income|
For households larger than 8, add $6,480 per person.
(Income guidelines subject to change)
How do I apply?
The first step in receiving PHDC services is to complete an Expression of Interest form. You may
- download an Expression of Interest form and return it to PHDC by US Mail to:
PHDC, 1234 Market St., 17th Floor,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
attn: B. Abdullahi
- speak to a PHDC operator by telephone at 215-448-2160, Monday through Thursday from 9:30 AM until 4:30 PM and Friday from 9:30 AM until 12:00 PM
- stop by PHDC’s office at 1234 Market Street, 17th Floor between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM to complete a written Expression of Interest form
You will need to provide the following information:
- Total gross annual household income
- Source of that income
(employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of people in your household
You will need to submit proof of your emergency before your case will be accepted. Proof can be:
- Violation notice from L & I
- Notice of defect from water department
- Heater “tag” or notice of defect from PGW
- Clear photos showing damage to ceiling from roof leak
- Photos showing accumulation of sewage in basement from plumbing leak
Instructions on how to submit violations and photos will be given to you by the hotline operator
Call the BSRP Hotline at 215-448-2160 Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Hearing impaired persons only, call TDD 215-448-2184.